Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's All About Love

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about love. Not only because Valentines Day is just a few days a way, but because a lot of my friends have been going through break ups recently. When I started thinking about writing this blog it was going to be titled, “For Women Only!” I even looked up some men bashing quotes, but the more I thought about it I realized that guys aren’t the only ones at fault when it comes to failed relationships, women make mistakes too.  
We are bombarded with poor examples of love everyday. Think about it, you get in the car and turn on the radio, 9 times out of 10 you will hear a love song playing. Or it will at least be a song that has something to do with love, wanting love, bleeding love, breaking up, or making up. And TV and movies are even worse. They have tainted love and marriage so much, by making it seem “normal” to sleep around and down playing the sacredness of marriage.
No wonder we live in a world that’s hurting. We are looking to the wrong sources to show us what love is all about. My head has been spinning with these thoughts all day. Then I started thinking about real life examples that show a “true” love (my parents, grandparents, friends, and more).
This made me think of how blessed I’ve been with some great men in my life. So this Valentines Day I’m choosing to honor the 4 most important men in my life; my dad, my brothers, and Jesus.
First, I have been blessed with one of the best fathers a girl could ask for. Seriously, he loves me more than life itself and treats me like I’m the most special girl in the world. He has always told me I’m beautiful and that he loves me. My dad goes above and beyond to make me know how much he cares for me. I used to think that he just did that because he was my dad and I assumed all dads must treat their daughters this way. But I have realized within the past couple of years how rare his love actually is. My dad told me something about love once that I will never forget. He told me, “When I was dating your mom I would have done anything to see her or be with her. I would have driven as many miles as it took to see her. If a guys not willing to do that for you, he’s probably not the right one for you.” For the record, he is still that crazy about my mom. He thinks she is the most beautiful woman in the world and would do anything for her.
Next, my older brother Luke. I am so proud to call him my brother. He is a wonderful example of a loving husband and father. He is an awesome spiritual leader for his family and a great older brother. He told me once when I was going through a break up something along the lines of this, “Janae this is why it hurts so much, God didn’t intend for us to date lots of people. His plan was for us to be with one person forever. So when we give our hearts to people that aren’t in God’s will for us, its going to hurt.” He’s a pretty smart guy that brother of mine, and there is so much truth in what he told me that night.
Then there’s Logan the other “man” in my life. He is such a blessing to me and our whole family. God knew we needed him. He has the most tender and sincere heart of anyone I know. His advice to me on love, “Janae I think you should join an online dating service.”  He’s only 12 (almost 13) but he’s one of the smartest, most grounded kids around, but I’m still too scared to try online dating!
Lastly, Jesus. I know He’s my greatest love and my forever love. He is the one who will never leave me or forsake me. He will supply all my needs. I know this because I can see His work in my life. For example my job, I knew I wanted to teach but I didn’t know where, and he opened the door at Branson and I practically waltzed right in. He is constant and I will continue to trust Him.
So, instead of feeling alone or sad because I don’t have a “Valentine” I will celebrate this year full force and thank the men I do have. I know it’s totally a commercial driven holiday, but I love it! And I’m not going to be one of those lonely girls that pretends to hate it. Besides, I’d say I’m a pretty lucky girl, I have 4 valentines!




 


1 comment: