Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Greatest Side Hug Ever

              First things first, I would like to say that I love MAP Testing. Being the unknowing first year teacher that I am, I wasn't sure what to expect.  But now, after having almost completed the MAP, I think it's awesome. Maybe not the actual test itself, but the giving of the test has been great! I get to test the kids in the morning and relax and take it easy with them in the afternoon. We’ve had time to do so many fun things! The best part of it all is that I have even more time to spend on relationships with my students. This afternoon I had my greatest “teaching” moment yet, and it happened while we were making kites.
   As my students were finishing up a project (they made Kite Glyphs, where you add details according to your life. For example, add 3 bows if you are an only child). Anyway, as they were finishing one of my boys, I will call him “Brad” brought his kite up to my desk where I was working on my very own kite. He started comparing and contrasting the things that were a like and different about our lives based off our kites. I was shocked that he was so interested in my life because all year Brad has acted emotionally detached from me and most of his classmates. Seeing his interest I tried not to get too excited (in fear of shutting him down) so I kept on coloring while talking with him. He’d ask me a question about my kite and I’d ask him one back. Finally he said something about this older brother and how he’d just gotten out of jail. Brad has a pretty rough home life.  So I asked him a few questions about why his brother went to jail and then we had a talk about learning from other people’s mistakes and not following in their footsteps. He told me that he didn’t want to be like his brother and that he wanted to be better. I told him that I was proud of him for making that choice and that I loved him.
   After a few more minutes of talking it was time for us to clean up and get ready to head to the bus line. As we were walking out the front doors of the school I thought I would take a chance and ask him for a hug. I knew even asking meant I was taking a major risk, because usually he won’t even give me a high five. If I pat him on the back he jerks away and hides. But today was different. I said, “Brad, can I please have a side hug?” He smiled at me and then quickly slipped his arm around my waist and gave me a little squeeze. I thanked him and then he headed for his bus as I tried to fight back my tears.
              I don’t know what tomorrow will hold for me and Brad. I predict that he will walk in my room like usual, head down and no greeting. But for now I am celebrating the growth we had today. I’m basking in the warmth of this moment. And I will forever hold on to that little side hug. It meant the world to me. I love Brad and I pray that he will always make the right choice.

1 comment:

  1. im anxious to see what happens tomorrow... i bet you made huge headway in your relationship! such an exciting moment, janae. im so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete