Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kid Sense

I’ve decided no matter how strong of a front I try to put up at times, my students see right through it. It’s like they know when Miss Bass needs that extra special note to bring a smile to my face.

Today was one of those days. As much as I was looking forward to seeing my kiddos after a 3 day weekend, my heart felt deflated this morning. For about 2 years now I’ve lead a small group for junior high girls at my church. One of the girls’ father is very sick and dying from cancer. I can’t even begin to imagine the pain she’s going through right now, to lose a parent in the 8th grade is unimaginable.  I spent Monday with her trying to be there the best I know how. She is amazingly strong, and has incredible faith in the Lord.

This morning I was still very much thinking about my sweet friend and her family, but of course I didn’t mention anything to my students. I just put myself in Miss Bass mode and started teaching. Well, after reading groups I found this note lying on my desk. When you read it you will see this little girl already has an extremely obedient heart for the Lord. I have no doubt that He put it on her mind to write me this. He continually showers me in his love. And I’m thankful for his love and my students too. 



On a lighter note…I also received this note today. It was wrapped up like a scroll and tied with a red ribbon. It’s a joke. It's actually a girl student who wrote it. She’s very funny and constantly making me laugh. Today she just wanted me to know I’m admired, haha.


It says: 
Dear Queen Bass, 
    Meet me at sensual recess at 12:10 pm sharp. 
                                              Love, 
                                                      Secret Admirer 

Where she came up with "sensual" is beyond me. Like I said, she's a funny one. And she sure did make me laugh. 

Kid sense. I'm thankful they know without me saying a word. And where as adults can be hesitant to share encouragement with each other, they just write it in a letter. So simple, and yet so effective. I'm thankful for my sweet students that give me purpose each day. And mostly I'm thankful for God and that His love is the same forever and ever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment