Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kisses from Katie

Lately I have felt the Lord lavish His love on me more than ever. I know that it’s because I’m seeking Him more and more, therefore I’m seeing Him more and more. He reminds me constantly that He loves me. He shows me in so many ways that He is pursuing my heart daily. I'm worth it to Him. He wants all of me, and I want more of Him, less of me. 
Last week a friend of mine loaned me the book Kisses from Katie. It is the story of Katie Davis, a girl from a Brentwood TN, who answered God’s call and went to serve him in Uganda. She originally planned on staying for 1 year, and then continuing her plans to start college. But God had different plans. She is still living there today, has started an amazing non-profit, and adopted many children as her own.  I had heard of Katie and a little bit of her story when I was living in Nashville. So I was excited to read it. But wasn’t prepared for the emotions and desires it would stir within me. It’s the most inspiring book I’ve ever read. I loved it from cover to cover and didn’t want it to end. I have never felt so motivated by a book.  Not that I think God is telling me to move to Uganda and start adopting kids (although, it’s kinda temping after this read) but I’m inspired to love more fully right where God has me.
 The biggest concept I took away from Katie’s book is seeing the “one.” So many times the world tells us that we are too small to make a difference. And that what we do doesn’t matter. But it does. No, we’re not solving the world’s problems, but to that one person you are.
Also, it’s not about the things WE do, but it’s the work GOD does through us when we are willing. I Janae Lynn Bass am a no good. There is nothing good in me. I am a sinner to the core. But through my salvation in Jesus Christ I am able to do great things when I serve him.
Katie Davis’ words have caused me to pause and really look at the way I view my life and my time on earth. I was created with one purpose, to serve the Lord. And right now, that means teaching His children in my 3rd grade classroom. This week I’ve been praying that God would show me ways I can be more like Katie to my students. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in all the “work” I have to get done at school. So I’ve been praying that God will make me more aware of my students needs and that I will have the means to meet those needs. I can already see a difference. My kids crave attention so much. And it really doesn't take much to show them love. Yesterday I played basketball with a few of my kids at recess. It was so much fun, for them and for me! It's the smallest things sometimes, but taking just a few minutes and laughing with them as I missed every shot made our day so much brighter.
This is one of my favorite quotes from the book:
“People are people. They all need good water and medicine, but mostly they need love and truth and Jesus. I can do that. We can do that. We can give people food, water, medicine, love, truth, and Jesus. The same God created all of us for a purpose, which is to serve Him and to love and care for His people. It is universal. We can’t do it in our own strength or out of our own resources, but as we follow God to wherever He is leading us, He makes the impossible happen.”
“Everyday we have a choice. We can stay nestled in our safe comfortable places, as I did when the rat was in my room. We can let fear of something that really is small compared to the greatness of God cripple us. Or we can talk a risk, do something to help someone else, make a person smile, change someone’s world. Life to the fullest exists. It’s available. All we have to do is decide to get up and embrace it.”

If you want to learn more about Katie, her book, and her ministry click here. You won't regret it :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment