Monday, January 3, 2011

High Expectations

High Expectations

I have been thinking a lot lately about expectations. So many times in my daily life I will plan out exactly how I hope something is going to happen…whether it’s realistic or not isn't a consideration when I’m dreaming something up in my head. These “ideas” can be simple or extravagant. For example, in the morning as I’m getting ready for work I might think something as basic as “I hope someone notices that I did my hair different today.” Or as I’m heading to Panera for dinner I might dream up the perfect scenario of how I may meet my future husband there… “We were both refilling our coffee cups then our eyes meet…” (I have watched one too many chick flicks)

We all have expectations. No matter the size, small or well thought out daydreams, we all have them. And sometimes, for me it’s really hard not to be disappointed when my expectations aren’t met. During worship at church yesterday I was reminded that it’s ok to have expectations as long as I’m putting my trust in the right hands. People are sinful in nature. They are going to let us down for time to time. None of us are perfect. But we are saved by a perfect God. His love will never fail us. Sure we may not understand his plan, or why we go through tough situations, but His love is as steady as mountain. So from now on I’m putting my trust in “High” expectations.

I found this passage in Psalm yesterday, I think it fits perfectly.

“Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. When his breath departs he returns to the earth; on that day his plans perish.
Blessed is he whole help is the God of Jacob, whole hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, who keeps faith forever; who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The LORD set the prisoners free. The LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous. The LORD watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but they way of the wicked brings to ruin. The LORD will reign forever, your God, to all generations. Praise the Lord!” Psalm 146: 2-10

3 comments:

  1. You are a wise woman! I'm glad you're my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you will meet your future mate when you don't have any expectations about how to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true....I have a million expectations. Seriously. One million and one maybe. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete