Thursday, January 13, 2011

Kindness and Compassion

Kindness and Compassion

Over that past few days I have found my self engrossed in the news stories about the shooting in Arizona. Every time I hear new information my tear-filled eyes are glued to the TV screen. There is so much pain and hurt coming from every angle. It seems that everyone wants to point their finger at others in blame, but trying to shame someone else with guilt won’t change the events of that day and won’t bring back the lives that we lost.
Monday night on Nightline they had a special story on “Lone Wolf Killers.”  The story focused on other mass killing sprees and how the common denominator is that they are all “attention seeking crimes.” The gunmen in each case acted out to be recognized, seen, or heard.  The story ended with this statement, "This is a key message not just for the press. [It's] a message for teachers, it's a message for neighborhoods, and it's how we as a society can eliminate something that's distinctively American. "
That story and especially the last line went straight to my heart. I immediately thought about my class and the impact I have on my kids. I have a student in my room that has severe emotional issues. He doesn’t know how to interact well with others, handle his anger, or communicate in general. Yes, I have done my part in reporting my concerns to the school guidance counselor and making sure he gets all possible interventions (I’ve even put him at the top of my Grandma’s prayer list) but still I wonder if I’m doing enough. I have said this many times before, but I didn’t decide to be a teacher because I LOVE math, or because I LOVE reading so much. Sure I like those things, but the reason I am a teacher is because I LOVE kids and because I want to be a positive role model in their lives. Teaching is the avenue that allows me to do just that, LOVE kids.  So many times it’s easy to loose sight of that passion because of all the other things I am required to do…but when I stop and think it all comes back to love.
In my own personal life I am making it a goal to let this tragic event open my eyes others around me. Because of my profession, I get the opportunity to be with kids everyday, but even if I wasn’t a teacher I would still make the same challenge. We all interact with people everyday no matter what your job. For example, my mom and dad interact with customers at their restaurant, my older brother interacts with his co-workers at the City department, my grandparents interact with their friends at bingo, I interact with the cashier at Target. (Yes, I know I should’ve found a synonym for interact but I wanted to emphasize it) We all encounter different people each day. I’m not saying that we need to rush out and try to befriend every person we meet, but we can show them kindness and compassion. It’s as simple as smiling at a stranger, or complimenting your waitress on her cute earrings. Just be aware of others, and willing to look outside of your own world. It’s scary to think how many opportunities to show love we pass up in a single day because we are so concerned with our own life.

I’m not a huge Barack Obama fan, but I really loved this quote from him. It pretty much sums up all that I’ve been feeling over the past few days.
“At a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do," Obama said, the killings should make Americans ask themselves "Have we shown enough kindness and generosity and compassion to people in our lives?"

Last, I’ll end with a few scriptures, I like Gods word a lot better than Obama’s!
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”
Ephesians 4:1-3

“Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”
2 Corinthians 13:10-12

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.”
1 John 4:6-8

2 comments:

  1. I really needed this.... so very much. It used to be my constant prayer, to be able to love others, (it really doesn't come that easy for me, sometimes I am so guarded and selfish.) Thank you for reminding me... We can't love others in our own power the way we were created to love others. Only God gives us the power to love like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts, Janae. You are so heartfelt in your convictions and share them so gently and effectively! You hang onto the 'loving' the kids and never forget why you are there. My dad is a mailman and you wouldn't believe how God uses him to effect/affect the lives of others! It is SO true that it matters how we treat everyone, and it was nice to read your thoughts on the matter. Hope the Lord continues to bless your heart and mind with more stories for your sweet blog!

    ReplyDelete