Thursday, January 20, 2011

We Have a Dream


This week after studying the life of Martin Luther King Jr. I had my students write out their own “I Have a Dream” speech. I told them to include some of their personal dreams as well as their hopes for our country. I did not give them very many ideas. They came up with these all on their own. I was blown away by their responses. They were very heartfelt and thoughtful. Here are a few of my favorites. I corrected their kid spelling so you can understand them. I also changed their names for privacy.

“I have a dream that all the little children with no mom or dad will reunite with their parents. I have a dream that the earth will be green. I have a dream that the poor may not be hungry. I have a dream that the poor will have a home. I have a dream that all of the world could be compassionate and loving.”  
By: Sally
*this little girl has not seen her mom in 4 years.

“I have a dream that I will sing and raise money so I can donate it to charities. I have a dream that we will have no more wars with other countries. I have a dream that no one will feel lonely. I have a dream that people will not fight with fists or weapons, but with words of wisdom. I have a dream that I will have a loving family and so will all of you.”
By: Rebecca

“I have a dream that I will pick up trash and put it in the recycle box.”
By: Timmy

“I have a dream that people will stop killing animals.”
By: Luke

“I have a dream that orphans will find homes. I have a dream that poor people that live of the side of the road will be rich. I have a dream that murders will go to jail. I have a dream that their will be no robbers in the USA.”
By: Sarah

“I have a dream that I will open my own recycling business and be president. I have a dream that I can end world hunger. I have a dream that I can find a home for dogs that don’t have homes.”
By: John

“I have a dream that someone will buy our house so my family can pay their taxes, and that everyone can pay their taxes. I have a dream that I will give my money to charity.”
By: Jason
*It’s crazy the amount of things kids pick up on.

“I have a dream to be in the U.S. Army to help our community and to save our state.”
By: David

“I have a dream that all the cars will be a low price for everyone in the world. Not just for people who are famous.”
By: Danny

“I have a dream that I can be in a band. I have a dream that I can give money to the poor and give food to the poor. I have a dream that I can fix the Branson Bell. I have a dream to save the world.”
By: Logan

“I have a dream that I can be a doughnut shop worker when I grow up like my dad.”
By: Greg

“I have a dream that I will become a downhill snowboarder and give my money to charities. I have a dream that I will change my name to Tony.”
By: Tony Jr.

“I have a dream that everyone will start believing in God and that nobody will trust idols, Kings, and Queens. I have a dream that everyone who is homeless will find money and be able to have shelter again. I have a dream that sick people will begin to feel better.”
By: Maggie
*She asked me if it was ok that she wrote about God, I told her she could write as much as she wanted about God!

It's amazing how much 8 and 9 years are aware of. Childlike faith is such a sweet, sweet gift. I hope that after reading my students dreams you are inspired and encouraged to pursue your own hopes for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Love their sweet, tender hearts! I especially enjoyed the little boys that wanted to join the Army and find a home for all the homeless dogs! Precious!

    ReplyDelete